Stage review

So far I have experimented with wet felting and stitch additions to found imagery from Dazed & Confused magazine. I chose Dazed because the styling and models are androgynous and so it was a simpler process to obscure the visual clues to gender.

 

Inspired by Linder Sterling and Hannah Hoch I intend to produce collages from materials found from Dazed, Men’s Health and various photo books.

I have managed to get a model for a photo-shoot which I intend to style like vintage celebrity portraits from the 1950’s.
Once these are complete I hope to experiment with editing them in Photoshop. Afterwards I will consider producing further photo-montage from them and even developing these into paintings/prints. Alternatively I could print the images on acetate and use them to produce photograms in the dark-room.

 

At the start of this project I spent a lot of time researching my essay topic and artists that I discovered through this however I did very little reflective writing. My concept of gender is an incredibly broad subject and so I spent a lot of time looking for visual inspiration on websites such as Pinterest and having informal discussions about my ideas with my peers. Unfortunately I did not record any responses or feedback from this time and I remained indecisive for some time meaning I began practical work too late to achieve real development or experiment with any time-based media. It has shown me how important it is to begin practical development early on as this can be just as informative of concept as the initial research.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s